A big reason lots of my friends don’t want to go camping is because they don’t want to eat horribly bland freeze-dried meals or tasteless porridge for the weekend. Having done a lot of camping in the past few years, here are my recommendations for tasty food items & the best order to eat them so that they keep for your trip. All of these are easily packable for your camping trip.
First Day Items
- Frozen Steak – By the time you spend your first day they will have dethawed but will still be cold
- Hard Boiled Eggs – Great source of protein for your first lunch!
- Chocolate – Wait, how’d this get on the list? Okay it’s not healthy and it probably won’t last long in hot weather but chocolate is a perfect treat after a tough hike
Second Day Items
- Apples – They might get bruised if you’re lugging them around for more than a few days but are a nice healthy snack to have for a few days
- Whole Wheat Wraps with Peanut Butter (pre-made) – the protein in the peanut butter will fill you up long enough to get some hiking in!
- Sweet Potatoes / Potatoes – perfect fire food and they are sturdy enough
Items for the rest of your trip
- Instant Oatmeal – Packs light, packaging doubles as kindling and they’ve got tons of flavours so you aren’t resigned to bland porridge for your camp trip. Campers rejoice!
- Dried Fruit – Packs light and satisfies your sweet tooth
- Quinoa – Full of protein, packs light, can be made over the fire and keeps you full
- Pasta – the perfect camping food, sturdy, keeps well in hot weather and can be made over the fire